Money, jobs and documents you might need while studying abroad

You’re starting to think in detail about the practicalities of your life as a student abroad?

I found that particularly scary because it involved managing money in a foreign currency, thinking about which expenses to expect, and dealing with official systems and procedures (health systems, banks, etc) in a country that was foreign to me.

Sign up for the International Students’ Survival Guide (it’s free!) and read the new Chapter 2 called Money and documents to find out more detail about

  • what documents you might need as an international student in the UK, US or Australia,
  • how to best manage your money and what expenses might be coming your way
  • what to do if you’d like to look for a job while you’re studying abroad



How does this work? All you need to do is sign up with your e-mail address. You’ll then be sent a link giving you access to the International Students’ Survival Guide. We’ll then also email you whenever there’s a new download available.



Am I allowed to work while abroad?

Here are a few local links for the UK, the US and Australia with regional information about what to consider if you’d like to work in these countries while you’re studying.

UK – British Council

Australia –

US –


Don’t forget to sign up to the International Students’ Survival Guide to get advice about money and documents to take with you!

If you’ve signed up already, you’ll find the link to download in your email inbox.

All the best,

Collins ELT Team