Are you looking for original ways to get your students to read? Here are 8 ‘Who am I?’ questions revealing interesting life-facts about some of the Amazing People featured in the 8 brand-new Amazing People ELT Readers we’ve just published. Can you guess who the people are?
Below you can also find links to videos of each of these Amazing People talking about their lives and achievements. There are also links to download classroom ideas, lesson plans and worksheets from our ELT Readers Teacher Zone, as well as more information about the books the people are featured in.
The answer key is provided at the bottom of this post.
Read the ‘who am I’ questions 1-8. Can you match them with the Amazing People A-H and their images a-h?
Who am I? questions:
1) I wrote the very first computer program – and you might be surprised to hear that I was a woman. My father was Lord Byron, the famous poet, but he died when I was only 8 years old. Who am I?
2) I was born in Salzburg, Austria. People said I was a ‘child genius’ because I began playing and composing music when I was very young. My older sister Nannerl was a very talented musician, too. I’m most famous for my operas, The Marriage of Figaro and The Magic Flute. Do you know who I am?
3) I was an American trumpet-player and singer, and I came to discover ‘a wonderful world’. I grew up in a poor area of New Orleans, where life was tough for young African-American boys. Do you know who I am?
4) I became sick with meningitis at 19 months, before I even learned to speak. I still went on to become a famous teacher. I started an organisation to teach people about blindness in 1915. Who am I?
5) Do you know Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn? Then you probably know my name, too. But the name you know me by is not the name my parents gave me – that’s Samuel Langhorne Clemens. Who am I?
6) I opened my first salon in New York City when I was 25 years old and went on to create what became one of the most famous cosmetics brands in the world. I was also the first woman to appear on the front cover of the Time magazine. My parents gave me the name Florence Nightingale Graham. What’s the name I am known to the world by?
7) A very famous prize for cultural and scientific advances is named after me. I was a chemist and businessman and my greatest invention was dynamite. Who am I?
8) I was a powerful Roman leader, and I lived much earlier than any of the other people in this quiz. From a young age I wanted to be a leader and a hero. I fought hard to gain control of many territories for Rome. My father was called Gaius and my first name is Gaius, too, but I am known by the name of… do you know?
Amazing People A-H:
A) I am Helen Keller. My story is featured in Amazing Women (Level 1).
Helen Keller video / Download Helen Keller classroom and student activities
B) I am Elizabeth Arden. My story is in Amazing Entrepreneurs and Business People (Level 1). Elizabeth Arden video / Download Elizabeth Arden classroom and student activities
D) My name is Ada Lovelace and you can read my story in Amazing Mathematicians (Level 2). Ada Lovelace video / Download Ada Lovelace classroom and student activities
E) I’m Louis Armstrong, and you can read my story in Amazing Performers (Level 3).
Louis Armstrong video / Download Louis Armstrong classroom and student activities
F) My name is Alfred Nobel and my story is in Amazing Philanthropists (Level 3).
Alfred Nobel video / Download Alfred Nobel classroom and student activities
G) I am Julius Caesar. You can read my story in Amazing Leaders (Level 4).
Julius Caesar video / Download Julius Caesar classroom and student activities
H) I am Mark Twain and I’m one of the writers in Amazing Writers (Level 4).
Mark Twain video / Download Mark Twain classroom and student activities
Can’t see the image properly? Click on it to display full screen.
1) D) h)
2) C) a)
3) E) g)
4) A) b)
5) H) f)
6) B) d)
7) F) c)
8) G) e)
Click on the images to find out more about each Amazing People ELT Reader. The Amazing People ELT Readers have been created in association with The Amazing People Club.